Every December, my mom and I make these chocolate cherry mice. We’ve been doing this for around 14 years now and it’s one of the few winter holiday traditions that I absolutely love. These mice are always a hit at any family gathering or holiday party and they’re a perfect little dessert!
For those who would like to make these cute mice this year, here’s the recipe:
- Hershey kisses
- Maraschino cherries (with the stems, as the stems are the “tails”!)
- Slivered almonds
- Baking chocolate (or chocolate morsels)
- Decorating gel (any color)
- Get everything ready beforehand – it’ll save time during the actual making of the mice. Unwrap the kisses; put the slivered almonds, unwrapped kisses, and drained cherries on a plate.
- Melt the baking chocolate.
- You can start out by melting it in the microwave
- I’ve found the best way to keep the chocolate melted is having the bowl in a double broiler on low.
- Have a pan filled with some water on low heat and place a small glass bowl with the baking chocolate. This will allow the chocolate to stay warm and melted throughout this process. Keep an eye on the pan and bowl and make sure to stir the chocolate periodically.
- Cover a cherry in melted chocolate and place it flat with the stem somewhat parallel with the counter on a cooling sheet. Quickly press a Hershey kiss to the opposite side of the stem and add slivered almonds upright between the kiss and cherry
- Repeat last step until you’re out of cherries or have the amount of mice you want.
- Let cool. Once they do, you can add little eyes and red noses in frosting/decorating gel if you’d like.
These mice are a bit of work when you first make them but they’re such a cute and delicious treat! And I promise, people will absolutely love them!