The world can be a scary, scary place. Stories and photos of bombings, shootings, poverty, and more all regularly headline the news and for many, these stories are lived experiences and daily life. There’s trauma and pain all around the world but there’s also hope and love and so many reasons to believe in change. Here are some good stories of hope and love:
- Therapy dogs help students return to school after Parkland shooting by Nicole Gallucci, Mashable
- Rescued stray travels far to become a therapy dog and give back by Andrea Miller, ABC News
- #RateASpecies is a hashtag on Twitter, in which folks have been rating different animals. It’s funny, sweet, and all around a great place to see cute animals!
- Yoda the llama found a forever home and can’t stop smiling about it by Kelly Diamond, Mashable
- There is a group of 5 (yes! FIVE) golden retrievers all living together in Washington, DC and their owners always post the cutest videos and photos of these wonderful dogs. You can follow Jasmine, Maggie, Hopper, Venkman, and Queso on Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram; their handle on all social media should be: thegoldenratio4
One of the main reasons I decided to share some good news is because I really do think it’s important to know the good and the bad that exists in the world. It can be easy, at least for me, to be constantly surrounded by the bad, to always see the worst things. And I also want to remind folks that in the midst of changing the world and doing the work, it’s also important to take the time to step back and both care for yourself and remember all the good things.
“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” To this day, especially in times of “disaster,” I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.”
– Fred Rogers