There’s only one more week until Halloween! While you make costumes or plan something fun to do that day, there’s an easy treat you can make for your dog! Peanut butter pumpkin treats are tasty, autumn-themed treats and the best part is that they’re soft enough for an old man like Rooster! I’ve adapted the following recipe from one on the blog Miss Molly Says.
- 1 cup pumpkin puree*
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- Parchment Paper**
- Optional: red and yellow food coloring to make the treats just a bit more orange!
- Optional: different cookie cutters, including pumpkins!**
*Make sure get pumpkin puree! You can get canned pumpkin but it’ll be essential to get just pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling. The pie filling will have too many added ingredients that aren’t good for your dog!
You’ll also need parchment paper to roll out the dough and to put on the trays. You can also get cookie cutters at many different places, including different craft stores!
- Preheat the oven to 350f.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a big bowl. I started mixing all the ingredients (plus two drops of both red and yellow food coloring) with a large fork but used my hands to kneed it after a short time.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment paper using a rolling pin. I had a small space to do this so I divided up the dough into sections to do this.
- Once the dough is about 1/4 inch thick, peel off the top parchment paper and cut out some cookies!
- After cutting out the treats using your cookie cutters, place them on baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes! I used some more parchment paper under the cookies while they baked so they were easy to remove after they were done.
- Final steps: let cool and then enjoy! Treats should be enjoyed within a few months of making them but they can be stored in an airtight container until they’re gone.
Both Milo and Rooster love these cookies! Milo is always so excited about treats but he seemed to especially love these ones. They’re easy to make and with only a few ingredients, great for your dogs too!